Everything You Need to Know about Felt
Felt is an inexpensive and easy to make material that can be used to fashion a variety of products such as clothing, bedding, jewelry, scarves, hats and more. It is a sustainable way to create everyday items for everyone in the family - even furry friends!
What is Felt?
It takes a lot of hard work to make felt, but the results are totally worth it. Felt is a non-woven fabric that is made using natural fibers along with soap and water. The next step is where the hard work comes in. The ingredients need to be matted together using agitation and compression and the result is the permanent locking together of fibers. Felt is typically created from wool, a 100% biodegradable source. However, felt can also be made from synthetic fibers such as acrylic.
History of Felt
Felt is considered the oldest known type of cloth used by humankind. It was used to make clothing, tents, shoes and rugs. The yurts of the Far East have been made from felt for a very long time.
Benefits of Felt
- Felt is fire-resistant. This makes it the perfect fabric to use for clothing, especially for children. Fire resistant felt pajamas that your child can wear year around are definitely a benefit! Baby blankets that are made from felt are also a wonderful alternative to synthetic materials.
- Felt is versatile. Because it can be used for so many thins and in so many ways, it is a popular material for arts and crafts.
- Felt can be made at home. Felt is fairly easy to make at home. In fact, the hardest part of making felt is using your brawn while the best part is getting your hands into the gooey mess called Wet Felting.
- Felt is fun: Kids really love products made from felt. This material allows the designer to use bright, happy colors that kids are drawn to. And mom love felt too because of it's long-lasting durability. Simply throw it in the washer and walk away and every time it comes out looking brand new. That's the beauty of felt products.
- Felt is inexpensive: Because of the ease with which felt is made and the profitability and sustainability of using wool, felt is one of the more inexpensive materials to use today.
- Felt can be worn all year long. It is lightweight, durable and breathable that offers coolness in summer and warmness in winter.
For an inexpensive way to revamp your wardrobe or stock up on your supply of arts and crafts material - especially during the holidays - consider purchasing items made from felt. Or if you are really adventurous, consider making felt at home. This is a wonderful DIY project you can invite the entire family to join in on - from the kids all the way on up to grandma and grandpa. Making or buying felt products as gifts during holiday season will not only be inexpensive, it will also be a lot of fun! So get felting!
- Tags: Felt